Check Points for the Magnet Application Period
Review the timeline below. The timeline is divided into two periods: the pre-random selection period, and the notification period. Please note the items listed for completion by each date listed on the timeline.
Pre-Random Selection Key Dates
- A one-hour Introduction Zoom Meeting at 10:00 am, on September 20
- All Magnet School staff should have participated in the Online Magnet Training (Sept. 20-27)
- Live Zoom Sessions 3:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. on Tuesday, September 21, 2021 through Friday, September 24, 2021, and Monday, September 27, 2021 (participants may enter the Zoom meeting at any time within the hour)
- The School Choice & Parental Options website will be promoting Magnet Schools’ Open House and School Tours. To ensure your school is included, please provide your schedule by Wednesday, September 22nd and/or as they become available.
- Submit at https://yourchoicemiami.org/tour-schedule-request/
Notification Period Key Dates
- Magnet random selection begins March 7th and the process takes approximately one week. Once it is run, parent notifications are prepared thereafter. No action required from Magnet Schools.
- Access to the Magnet application system will be temporarily closed to all schools for the week of random selection.
- All schools will resume access to the Magnet application system.
- School Choice & Parental Options sends out initial notification emails to parents. Only non-verified emails will receive a hard copy letter in the mail with results. All schools will be able to view placement lists for their programs within the Magnet application system..
- During this initial 2 week period, parents respond to invitations through the online system or by directly contacting the school. During this period schools are responsible to enter the student acceptance through the online system if the parent or the legal guardian chose to accept by directly contacting the school.
- The official launch of the Magnet Off-Cycle application period. Parent/students are encouraged to visit the Off-Cycle website and apply directly to the schools of their choice. The Off-Cycle application period runs on a first-come, first-serve basis. All participating schools will be able to review their applicant pool. Schools without waiting lists will be able to offer available seats to eligible students at this time.
The Magnet training is available year-long for your reference. Please select the link below if you’d like to review the Magnet application process.
Magnet Acceptances During COVID
Most students declare (accept) their Magnet seat through the online system, however, some are not able to. In light of limited parent access to in-person visits at schools, consider some of these ideas to receive student acceptance letters:
- Offer parents the option to email a signed declaration of acceptance letter to the school
- Offer a ‘drive-thru’ type of option through your student dropoff area or similar
- Avoid undocumented forms of acceptance such as verbal phone calls or text messages to personal mobile phones
Student Registration Durning COVID
M-DCPS has a student registration packet available online. Below are some ideas of how you can facilitate the process for your interested students:
- Pre-printed registration packets for parents to pick up at the school site
- Facilitated a drive-thru system for parents to register while staying in their vehicle
- Downloadable school registration packet available through an email link